Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Donuts and Love

Donuts.  Who doesn't love donuts?  My favorite is definitely Boston Creme filled with chocolate icing!  A real treat for me since I try not to indulge too often in donuts.  But today, donuts had a much bigger meaning to me.  Yes, I am still referring to the sweet treat but they are way more than that.  Donut Friday's will commence this Friday for the staff and will continue every Friday until early June.  My mouth is watering as I think about it.  I found out about Donut Friday's earlier in the week and what everyone was referring to as "donut groups".  I didn't have a donut group and no one had asked me to join them yet.  I kept thinking I should ask someone if I could join their group, but right when I got up the nerve, I saw their name on the donut group list with three other staff members (four is the limit).  I decided I'd just wait and see what it looked like by the end of the week and if there was a group of three, I'd just add my name to their group.  Until today when I got an e-mail, entitled "donuts" from one of the learning support teachers.  It simply said "Do you have a donut group yet?"  My heart skipped a beat.  How in the world could the word "donuts" make me so happy?  But it was more than just the fact that I'd get to eat a donut every Friday.  It was acceptance and friendship.  I was overjoyed that someone thought of me and wanted me to be in their group.  I obviously replied: "No, I do not... but I'd gladly join yours if you need someone!".  And there I was, in a donut group.  My new donut friends are going to be great, I already know it!  I just hope they don't judge me for buying a whole box of Boston Creme filled donuts and probably eating them all myself!

On another note, love was definitely in the air today.  I spent some time with my mentor's second grade class today.  We broke into groups and I got to sit with a few of the students that I will be working with and a few of the other students.  We all took turns asking each other questions about our hobbies, interests, families, pets, etc.  It was the first time I got to really sit in and spend time with any of the kids in the school.  Second grade is full of a lot precocious little buggers.  They aren't the babies anymore; they are veterans and they know what is expected of them.  They have had two years to get to know their peers and two years of getting to know the school.  My two favorite kids in the group won't be receiving speech and language therapy at all but boy did they put a smile on my face.  We somehow got into the topic of recess (which I guess isn't that difficult of a topic to get into when you're a kid) and the little girl, we'll call her "M", burst out "You know what I like to do at recess? I like to run around a chase boys" and the entire time she's staring at one of the boys, we'll call him "D".  So "D", without skipping a beat, says, in his confident yet hopeful voice, "So does that mean you're going to chase me around at recess?" "M" chimes right back in with a true Minnie Mouse batting of her eyes, hands clasped to the side, shoulders shrugged and enthusiastic, "Sure I will!"  This type of "flirting" went back and forth between the two "love birds" for the entire session.  There was even jealously beginning to arise when one boy "S" raised his hand, ever so politely, and asked "Why does she always ask him her questions and not the rest of us?" And this is where I had to jump in and ask "M" to direct her questions to some of the other students in our "get to know you" group.  Who knew that these things started at such a young age?  I sure didn't have any interest in boys when I was in second grade... at least I don't think I did! 

So my day was filled with donuts and love.  A perfect day in my eyes.  Donuts and Love will always prevail in days where life seems to get you down.  So I leave you with this:

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
                                                                                   --Robert Brault 

No comments:

Post a Comment